Thursday, March 25, 2010

Hanky Panky (Homemade Meat) Balls

I chopped up some London Broil in a KitchenAid food processor the other day.  Ten pulses on twenty cubes.  With Italian spices and some anchovies. It tasted just like ground beef except fresher!  Then I added an egg and some pepper, and a little bread, and water, and made meatballs. They were great.

Then I heard Mark Bittman say, in a Lamb Meatball video, "Always grind your own meat!"   Many years ago he had written a whole column about grinding.

The same day, I chopped up some half frozen white bread (after I washed the food processor of course!). Five pulses on twenty chunks. They turned Panko! Just like all the pictures.  I dried them out in a warm oven. I call them Hanky Panky breadcrumbs because they are not really Japanese.

I like grinding my own. I posted the breadcrumbs because ground meat pictures are too gross to post.

No comments:

Post a Comment